I think if you were to map out your perception of meetings over the course of your life, is and/or most likely will be an inverted U chart. Here’s the life cycle.
- Youthful Innocence: OMG THERE’S FREE FOOD LET’S HAVE A MEETING EVERY DAY!
- Young Professional: Wow, I have a lot of meetings every week.
- Professional: These meetings are killing me! How am I supposed to get any work done!?
- Young Manager: It’s really hard to keep track of what everyone is doing. Let’s have a meeting.
- Manager: WHY WASN’T I INVITED TO THIS MEETING?
- Senior manager: We’re having this meeting because it seems like you guys are not having effective meetings. This meeting will help you plan out future meetings.
Most of this blog post is my fear of facing my own obsolescence but man, I really hate meetings. I really do.